Many experts, professionals and officials communicate in two ways. First, they tell you what they want you to know. Second, they don’t tell you or they lie and obfuscate what you need to know. The latter form of non-communication may be the most important as it often hides what is critical information regarding motive, fact and truth so you can respond accordingly.
I am a collector and writer of aphorisms. Aphorisms are short, pithy sayings that express concisely an observation, opinion, wisdom or truth. Aphorisms, like many ideas, come to me when I’m not sitting at a desk or with pen and notebook. They often spring up as I am walking, taking a shower or daydreaming. Listed below are some of my latest aphorisms:
- Older people are like older cars without gas gauges. Both have traveled many miles and not sure how much gas or life is left in the tank.
- If you make the same resolution year after year, it’s no longer a resolution but just wishful thinking.
- One can spend 15-20 minutes seeking, finding and purchasing an appropriate birthday or Hallmark card that the recipient skims in 5-10 seconds.
- We’re always one tear away from joy or tragedy.
- What turns a woman from attractive to beautiful is her smile.
- A woman can lose her youth, her beauty and her figure but as long as she can maintain her arts of making pleasant and interesting conversation and being a good listener, she will never lose her attractiveness.
- Is there a more uncomfortable question than to be asked by someone to guess their age? Is there a more uncomfortable answer to the question of how we are old we are that estimates us much older than we are?
- At 70, you are in the homestretch of life with the finishing line in sight.
- When charity begins at home, it rarely leaves it.
- At most churches, the faithful pray with their ministers; at some churches, the minister preys on the faithful.
- The books in one’s library or bookshelf represents the portfolio of their intellectual investments.
- Sitting quietly in an empty church generally is a more moving spiritual experience than sitting through a church service.
- The worst personal rejection comes from those who mean so much to you when they show how little you meant to them.
- Marathon running…times that try men’s soles.